PRP, short for platelet-rich plasma, is a revolutionary treatment that offers a safe and effective solution for various orthopedic conditions, particularly knee pain, and degeneration. This innovative technique involves utilizing the patient’s blood components to promote healing and stimulate the regeneration of tissues. PRP injections can be administered in any area of the body, making it a versatile treatment option. With no risk of adverse events during or after the therapy, PRP has gained popularity as a preferred method to alleviate knee pain and accelerate the healing process, especially for sports injuries.
Results of PRP Knee Treatment:
If you’re considering PRP treatment for your knee, you can expect remarkable results in terms of pain reduction, decreased swelling, and improved knee mobility. Typically, patients experience these positive changes within two to three months of undergoing PRP therapy. A recent survey showed that individuals who received 2-3 PRP shots for knee pain achieved excellent results without encountering any complications. It’s important to note that while PRP treatment effectively manages knee pain, the results are not permanent. Follow-up PRP shots are recommended annually to maintain the benefits over an extended period.
PRP treatment offers numerous benefits for individuals seeking relief from knee pain and related conditions. Some of these benefits include:
- PRP injections stimulate the healing process and aid in the regeneration of damaged cartilage, leading to improved knee function.
- PRP therapy provides long-term relief from chronic knee pain, reducing the need for other interventions or surgeries.
- PRP injections effectively reduce swelling in areas affected by osteoarthritis, providing relief and enhancing mobility.
- For individuals who prefer non-surgical options, PRP treatment offers a viable alternative to joint replacement surgery, with similar pain relief outcomes.
- PRP treatment can help rebuild the immune system, making it stronger and healthier.
- PRP injections facilitate tissue growth and repair, making them effective in treating ligament and tendon injuries.
- Following PRP treatment, patients can resume their normal activities within a few weeks, thanks to the fast healing process associated with this therapy.
To ensure optimal results from your PRP knee injection, it’s important to take certain measures before the treatment. These include:
- Discontinuing anti-inflammatory medications three weeks before the procedure.
- Quitting smoking can impede the healing process.
- Abstaining from alcoholic beverages 48 hours before the treatment.
How is it Done?
A typical PRP knee injection takes approximately 40-45 minutes to complete. The procedure begins with the doctor administering local anesthesia to numb the affected area. Next, a specific volume of blood is drawn from your vein and placed in a centrifuge for about ten to fifteen minutes. This process separates the platelets, which are then injected into the knee to reduce pain or accelerate healing. While the procedure itself is quick and straightforward, it requires the skill and experience of a qualified practitioner for successful implementation.
Who Should Go for a PRP Knee Injection?
PRP knee injection is suitable for various individuals, including:
Older individuals experiencing arthritis-related knee pain can benefit from PRP injections as an alternative to knee replacement surgery.
Those Who Cannot Undergo Surgery:
Patients who are not suitable candidates for surgery or have a poor prognosis after knee replacement surgery can opt for PRP knee injections.
Individuals in need of immediate pain relief, such as when facing unbearable knee pain before a flight, can benefit from PRP knee injections due to their quick and efficient nature.
Athletes and sports players often experience joint pain due to strenuous exercise. PRP treatment offers long-lasting and durable relief, making it an ideal choice for them.
Individuals With a History of Prolonged Painkiller Use:
PRP knee injections can be a preferable option for those with a chronic history of arthritis who have relied on painkillers for an extended period. This treatment reduces pain and inflammation without the adverse effects associated with prolonged painkiller use.
Recovery and Potential Risks:
In most cases, patients recover within 2-3 days after PRP knee therapy. Following the procedure, mild pain or discomfort at the injection site is normal, and over-the-counter painkillers can help alleviate inflammation. It is crucial to avoid anti-inflammatory drugs and strenuous exercises as they may hinder the healing process.
While PRP is generally safe and FDA-approved, there are potential risks associated with the treatment, including:
- Severe pain and swelling at the injection site.
- Infection in the knee area.
- Blood clots and nerve damage.
To minimize these risks, it is essential to seek the expertise of an experienced practitioner who can ensure a safe and effective PRP knee injection.
Book an Appointment:
If you are interested in PRP knee Injection in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah do not hesitate to schedule an appointment at Esthetic Clinic. Our experienced team is dedicated to helping you alleviate knee pain and stiffness without complications. Fill out the form or call us to book a free consultation and explore the benefits of PRP treatment for your knee.